1. Addictomatic.com – Create a custom search by topic for the latest news, blog posts, videos, and images; allows you to bookmark your personalized results dashboard for future reference.
2. Alltop.com – Search by topic for most recent top news on news sites and blogs; functions as “online magazine rack” for all the news all the time (24x7).
3. Beyond.com – Self-described as the “world’s largest network of niche career communities” covering employment in specific locations (such as cities) and industries (such as HR or insurance).
4. BlogPulse.com – Search the blogosphere (news, blogs, videos) for the latest buzz on topics; contains interesting analytics tools, stats, and BlogPulse Newswire.
5. CommonCraft.com – One of the best places to go for easy-to-understand explanations via videos of wikis, rss feeds, Twitter, social media, and Google web search.
6. Craigslist.org – Community-moderated website for local classified ads and forums for 570 cities in 50 countries worldwide; contains job boards and a blog.
7. Digsby.com – Application that alerts you to your new emails and social media contacts via a live newsfeed, and allows you to chat via a multi-protocol instant messaging client on AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Google Talk, ICQ, and Jabber.
8. Facebook.com - Largest online social media site with 175 million active users and 25 million active user groups. Great place for networking!
9. Google: More Products and Options – For every type of custom search tools, such as Web Search, Maps, Book Search, Archive Search, Video search, Blog Search, Finance (and business), and Images, as well as communication tools, such as Blogger and Gmail.
10. Idealist.org – Find non-profit jobs, volunteer opportunities, internships, organizations, events such as career fairs, programs and more.
11. Indeed.com – Job posting aggregator with jobs from major job boards, newspapers, associations, and company career pages; you can set up email alerts and RSS feeds.
12. JibberJobber.com – Promoting itself as Career Management 2.0, JibberJobber has come a long way since its beginnings as a job search management spreadsheet. Founded by Jason Alba (a friend, but I would love this app anyway!), JibberJobber goes beyond tracking and organizing information and contacts you collect in your job search. It is a networking and relationship management tool par excellance.
13. Job-hunt.org – Touted as the “Best of the Web/Best Site for Finding Work” by US News and World Report, Forbes, and PC Magazine, Job-hunt lives up to that reputation with more than 12,000 links to employers and resources, including tons of articles from subject-matter-experts.
14. LinkedIn.com – The premier and best-known social networking site for professionals (whether employed or unemployed), where you can grow your network exponentially in very short time. With job postings (some only listed on LinkedIn), groups to join and network with, and a popular Q&A feature, LinkedIn is constantly adding features to enhance its members voracious appetites for more and more benefits.
15. Naymz.com – Another social networking tool for professionals where you can not only grow your network, but verify your reputation with a RepScore. Unique approach and valuable for search engine ranking.
16. Ning.com – You can create your own social network on Ning, or discover existing networks by doing a search for keywords describing professional associations, colleges, companies, industries, and hobbies…and then join those groups.
17. Ping.fm – Online application that eliminates logging into multiple accounts to send the same message to your friends and professional contacts by providing the short-cut: just one update sends to all your social networking and social media profiles! This time-saving app supports 30 services including microblogging, social networks, instant messaging, and blogging platforms.
18. Popurls.com – Aggregates multiple RSS feeds from sites like Digg, Stumbleupon, Google News, Reddit, del.icio.us, and Flickr on a compact, one-page “dashboard”. You can custom the color scheme, type of feeds, quantity of articles per feed, and order of feeds to suit your preferences. Pop over to Popurls in the morning with your cup of coffee, and see the breaking online news.
19. Reverse Email Lookup – Find email addresses, addresses, and names for free based on reverse lookup technology. Now that could prove to be the most useful app of all!
20. SimplyHired.com – Job search aggregator of online job postings (nearly 3 million jobs in late March 2009); added feature of More Tools option that lets you find connections in your LinkedIn network to the company in the posting as well as research salary, job summary, map of the job location, and people at the company.
21. Technorati.com – Massive search engine for the blogosphere, including blogs, audios, photos, and videos! Explore the Channels feature to read the latest news on a topic or use the “search the blogosphere” feature to explore in-depth via keywords. Either way you will come away with lots of meaty and relevant information.
22. Trackur.com – Online reputation tracking app which can alert you to both positive and negative online “buzz” for your name, brand, and products. Searches blogs, news sites, social networking sites, images, and videos for any mention of your search terms.